Mosta church

Mosta church

Built between 1833 and 1860’s, Mosta church, or as commonly known as the Rotunda, dominates the whole skyline of the village of Mosta and beyond.

Dedicated to the Assumption of Mary it was built in a neo-classical design of the Giorgio Grognet de Vasse’. It is replacing an earlier 17th century church built by the Maltese architect Tommaso Dingli. By the beginning of the 19th century, the church became too small for the ever increasing population of the village of Mosta so a new church was proposed. Mosta church was built following the same architectural features of the Pantheon in Rome. The interior diameter of the dome is close to 39 meters and a height of 55 meters. The dome of Mosta church is considered as being one of the largest unsupported domes in the world. It was built with local stones and the residents of Mosta helped to build the church. The new church was built around the old one and in 1860’s, when it was completed, it was dismantled.

Mosta church is situated next to Ta’ Qali which during the Second World War served as a military airfield. On the 9th of April 1942, a half a tonne bomb, pierced the dome, entering the church, hit the ground without exploding. A congregation of 300 Maltese were waiting for mass, injuring nobody. This event it was hailed as a miracle by the inhabitants. The original bomb was diffused at sea and inside the small museum inside the sacristy a replica is exhibited.

The village of Mosta is centrally located, with a population of close to 20,000. Around the church one finds cafes, restaurants and a shopping area. Mosta is only 10 minutes drive from Mdina and Rabat, the old capital city and 20 minutes drive from Valletta.

Mosta church opening times

9 00hrs – 11 45hrs

15 00hrs – 17 00hrs